Friday, February 27, 2009

What kind of mother AM I ?

Today when I picked up Ellie from preschool, her teacher handed me a thick packet of papers. It was Ellie's "kindergarten readiness" evaluation. Everything was checked in the "Yes" column and the teacher commented at the bottom, " Ellie is completely ready for kindergarten. She will do wonderfully next year."
I have to admit, I actually felt proud. She "passed" with flying colors! All the things I have been teaching her...being kind, sharing with others, taking turns, being respectful of her friends and adults, talking sweetly to people...are actually sinking into her. I might actually be getting good at this "mothering" thing. Well, I continued on through the stack of evaluations... I shouldn't have. My bubble got burst.
One of the pages was a written conversation between the teacher and Ellie to see how perceptive she is of her world. The conversation goes like this....

Teacher: When is your birthday?
Ellie: I don't know.
Teacher: What did you do on your last birthday?
Ellie: I had a clown.
Teacher: What does your dad do?
Ellie: He puts braces on teeth.
Teacher: What does your mommy do?
Ellie: She goes shopping!

What??? After everything I do and am, that's how she sees me?! I was heartbroken!

I actually had to ask her myself to see if this atrocity was true!
So I turned to her and said,"Ellie, what do you think I do all day?"
She looks at me like I'm totally boring, rolls her eyes, and says, "You go shopping."
Oh my gosh, it is true! So I probe further, "What do I buy?"
"Vegetables."
And least she didn't say "Shoes!"

5 comments:

  1. That's because you go shoe shopping while she at school so she doesn't see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the simplicity of such young minds. If only life were really that simple. But you see, her perspective is actually a good thing. You make motherhood and life seem so easy that she doesn't think you have anything to do but shopping. I think that could be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only life were really that simple. But you see, her perspective is actually a good thing. You make motherhood and life seem so easy that she doesn't think you have anything to do but shopping.

    --
    Jhon
    Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I didn't ask my kids those questions. I would have been flabbergasted myself. However, I don't know what value it is, but I know what you do as a mother as I have been through about the same. I think you are a marvel as a Mom. I am impressed, anyway.

    ReplyDelete